Thursday, September 27, 2007

Woohoo Bike Kitchen!

Spent 3 hours at the Bike Kitchen last night working on the Surly. After building the IRO there, I got pretty good at using some tools.

Pressed in the headset fairly quickly, but then got stuck waiting to use the steerer cutting tool and files. I worked on putting the bottom bracket in until I was able to get the front-end tools. Finally got the giant stack of headset spacers in and the stem and bars on.

Bare Bars

Popped cranks on shortly after the BB install. Octalink is weird!
Crankset/Derailleur


Spent some time putting on the brakes.
Brakes

I've only really cut and run cable on BMX bikes, so I pretty much just guesstimated about how and where to cut the lines. It seems to work ok. The only crappy part is the routing on the front brake. The bend from the bars seemed to make too tight a turn so I routed it over the top and behind the bars. It looks a little silly. I'll pick up some more cable ends and re-route it at some point.

Wanted to run and cut the shifter cables before I left for the evening so I popped on the front and rear derailleurs real quick.

Derailleur/Cassette

Big hiccup occured when trying to put on the shift lever. They're way more complicated than I thought! So I ran out of time and brought the bike back to my office.

After work today I spent time reading the exploded diagrams and installation guide for the shifters. It looks like there might be a little tab broken off. I also realized I was missing pieces! Somebody opened my box before I got to it. So I emailed Universal Cycles to try and get an exchange. After messing around with it, I was able to get it to what seems like "working". If I get a postive response from UC I'll exchange them anyway. There's cable ends missing and the little ferrules gone too. Bummer.

I tried adjusting the brakes, but that seemed to be a bit of an excersise in futility so I laid off and taped the bars. Which turned out fairly poorly. I blame the brake cables! What a pain!
Red bars!

So now i'm waiting to hear from Universal and reading up on brake adjusting tips to hopefully get them dialed in.


Whole Bike - Partially built

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home