Thursday, October 4, 2007

It's Alive!

Holy crap! It works!*

Check out that Behind!


Universal Cycles kicks ass and got me my downtube shifters already! So after filling up on dinner, I came home and realized I might be able to get it working!

I popped on the DT shifters
Indexing Downtube Shifters
Which I knew how to do after reading the heck out of the instructions since last week.

Running cables was next.
Shimano Double/105 Derailleur
I started with the front derailleur. The instructions were super clear about the adjustment screws and which way to turn them, but I still got messed up with the cable tension and when I should have attached it or not. But eventually the front ran smoothly and noiselessly!

Got super worried about this guy!
Deore Derailleur Works!
So many potential problems. Will it index? Is this cable housing long enough? Then found out the chain was too short to loop over the 53x34 (not that I should ever be in that gear). After dealing with the same cable issue as the front, I seemed to have gotten it mostly dialed in. And what do you know? It indexes! Holy crap! There may be a bit of tweaking that needs to go on. It's a little noisey in certain gears, but I rode it pre-lube and the tolerances in my Nashbar cassette are pretty lax. You can see it wobble around when it's spinning. I guess that's what $20 buys you!


Speaking of cheap-o parts
Exustar Pedals...
I bought these on a whim from Nashbar. They wound up being about $16 and are ATAC compatible so I figured it was worth a go. I had to crank up the tension in order to get them to disengage where I wanted it to, although it seems like I have to put all my weight on it to get them in. Boo. We'll see if I keep them, or throw them at walls.

I took a test ride around my street and climbed up a fairly steep and long hill without standing up. Gears! Crazy! So far only I only noticed some minor brake tweaking that needs to occur and maybe some seat stuffs.

Better pics to follow!






*works until something explodes... which could happen anytime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home